La Chicanas CD „Tango Agazapado“ was a big surprise not only for journalists for their fully acoustic new interpretation of the tango roots. The band from Buenos Aires was awarded in 2004 with the important Premio Garde for the best album of the year in the category „Nuevo Tango“.
La Chicana gives new life to the spirit of the tango of the suburbs that emerged with the inmigrants arriving at the port of Buenos Aires with nothing in their pockets than their own courage and the will to find a new sense for their lifes and an escape from the poverty of their homelands. Nowadays they don’t arrive at the port anymore, but their struggle against human misery –omnipresent in La Chicana’s original lyrics- lives on through their children and grandchildren. Everyday’s circunstances have varied during the last 100 years; but the typically tango-characters and topics invented for La Chicana’s short-story-songs continue being most up-to-date: disappointment, decadence, regret, misfortune, endless love, impossible affairs, nostalgy...
La Chicana creates a new tango sound: far away from the grand orchestras they find themselves at home in an accoustic quintet and selected guest musicians. So their line up reminds more of a rockband than of a tango orchestra in its “typical” style. Their instrumentation exposes the “ethnical” background from the beginnings of tango; that melting-pot-identity that characterizes Buenos Aires more than anything else; that tango that started to develop its form at the beginning of the 20th century is a fusion of Italian, Polish, Spanish, German and African traditions and cultures, and nowadays is the main reference of whole Argentina all over the world.
Their new CD “Canción Llorada” presents a selection of the best songs from their first two albums “Ayer hoy era mañana” and “Un giro extraño”, like for example “La Foto del Escarabajo” with BBC Worldmusic Award Winner Chango Spasiuk. But there are also new compositions, unreleased versions of the bands favourite songs as well as some tango classics.
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin
- 1.¿Que queres con ese loro? (aus "Ayer hoy era manana")02:22
- 2.Sueno de morocha en conventillo (version inedita 2005)03:07
- 3.La foto del escarabajo (aus "Un giro extrano" – con la participacion de Chango Spasiuk)02:21
- 4.San Pedro y San Pablo (aus "Un giro extrano")03:26
- 5.Cancion llorada ( tema inedito 2005)02:59
- 6.Puro cuento (aus "Un giro extrano")02:53
- 7.La patota (Acho Estol) version inedita 200502:30
- 8.La bestia potenciada (version inedita 2005)03:19
- 9.Lo bueno y lo malo (tema inedito 2005)04:04
- 10.Forro em Santa Luzia (aus "Un giro extrano" - Instrumental)02:31
- 11.Los anos de joda de Anibal (version inedita 2005)01:51
- 12.Imposible (aus "Un giro extrano")02:36
- 13.Farandulera (aus "Ayer hoy era manana")03:01
- 14.Una rosa y un farol (aus "Ayer hoy era manana")03:39
- 15.Tulonga (tema inedito 2005 - Instrumental)02:37
- 16.Tinta roja (aus "Ayer hoy era manana")03:32
- 17.Oro y plata (version inedita 2005)03:36